Life Science Research Professional 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Walnut Creek
Posted on: January 11, 2022
The Gray Laboratory is a part of the Stanford Cancer Institute
(SCI), which is one of an elite number of National Cancer
Institute-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the country,
and is a prominent, dynamic, growing, and complex Institute within
the Stanford University School of Medicine. The SCI actively works
to build synergies and collaborations among faculty with
cancer-relevant expertise from four Schools and over 30 departments
across Stanford University.
We are seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform
experiments and support activities in a newly-established group at
Stanford that has recently relocated from the East Coast. We are a
chemical biology group focused on creative approaches to
identifying and developing new small molecule therapeutics. The
successful candidate will perform biochemical, biophysical, and
cell biological experiments that interface with ongoing chemical
synthesis efforts in the laboratory. Previous experience working in
a laboratory setting devoted to protein biochemistry is strongly
preferred but not required, as the position includes a training and
professional development component. The ultimate goal of this work
is to identify new treatments for human disease, especially cancer
and immune system malfunction. The role is highly collaborative
with opportunities for independent work that contributes new
capabilities to long-term efforts in the laboratory.
- Plan experiments in support of research projects in the
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Analyze experiment results and offer suggestions regarding
modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and directions.
- Contribute to publication of findings. Participate in the
preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance and support as agreed upon
with supervising scientist.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
The desired candidate should have experience in organic synthesis,
medicinal chemistry and ideally experience working with small
molecule degraders. A PhD and 2-3 years of postdoctoral or
industrial experience is required. Desirable capabilities include
extensive experience with small molecule organic synthesis
especially in regards to heterocycles, experience leading medicinal
chemistry teams, experience with structure-based drug design,
experience with small molecule degrader technology and experience
working with contract research laboratories.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL: http://cancer.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 88400 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Walnut Creek , Life Science Research Professional 1, Other , Walnut Creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!