Industrial Water Senior Process Engineer
Company: Brown and Caldwell
Location: walnut creek
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Brown and Caldwell are looking for a Senior Process Engineer to
join our Industrial Water (IW) Service Line. The ideal candidate
should have strong verbal and written communication skills and be a
highly organized and responsive individual, capable of working in a
diverse team environment and handling multiple tasks with
completing priorities. Our successful candidate will have a
positive, can-do attitude; will be flexible and self-motivated,
creative, and quality-oriented with attention to detail. The
candidate must have excellent process engineering skills and
experience in physical/chemical water and wastewater treatment
processes and water chemistry and be able to use industry-common
tools and models. Hands-on full-scale system conceptual design,
detailed design, operations and troubleshooting skills and
treatability testing skills are also required.
- Create a vision and priorities for IW physical/chemical
processes and water chemistry in alignment with and to inform a
national practice strategy.
- Ensure the collective knowledge of IW physical/chemical
processes and water chemistry is technically rigorous, effectively
documented, regularly updated, and disseminated across the
- Support development and application of innovative solutions,
including strategic research and development efforts.
- Organize a team of leaders within the IW group to support the
physical/chemical processes and water chemistry practice area and
drive use of internal communities of practice to ensure active
communication and collaboration within the practice area while
maintaining oversight and guidance as an active leader.
Knowledge and Technical Standards
- Create efficient, high-quality practice execution through
development and consistent application of national technical
standards including process and design guidelines, best practices,
tools, model work scopes, and governance. Encourage consistent
usage by practice members.
- Oversee implementation of Quality Fundamentals
Project Delivery and Quality
- Oversee prioritization and development of national technical
standards (guidelines, best practices, tools, content), governance,
and consistent usage for efficient, high-quality execution of
- On strategic and complex projects, engage directly with
delivery team throughout project life cycle, including early
concept development, solution selection, project design, execution,
and risk mitigation.
- Ensure relevant technical staff engage effectively with project
teams to applyconsistenttechnical approaches,risk management,and
- Support national sharing of resources ("Horizontal-play") to
match top technical talent with strategic projects, working closely
with national and regional leadership to getthe "right people" on
the "right projects".
- Participate in process engineering and design roles on projects
involving the following activities: data compilation and analysis,
bench and pilot wastewater studies, air and water permitting,
water/wastewater treatment alternative evaluations and conceptual
design of industrial water/water treatment and groundwater
- Perform calculations in the areas of civil, chemical, and
- Work with vendors of different technologies to evaluate
technical feasibility and develop budget estimates
- Assist in the development and preparation of technical
documents including work plans, feasibility studies, O&M
Manuals, and basis of design reports
- Support the development of engineering plans, specifications,
design details and budgetary cost estimates
- Serve as either a lead process engineer, Subject Matter Expert
(SME) or Senior Process Engineer (SPE) on projects
- Perform field work on industrial wastewater trouble shooting
and piloting projects along with remediation and construction
Client Development and Sales
- In close association with client service teams
(CST's),assumeClient-facingTechnical Leadership roles with
strategic clients, including trusted advisorfor clients and
- Directlyengagewith clients to buildrelationships, assessneeds,
- Bring technical insights from engagement with client
- Understand our competition in terms of strategic direction of
their approach to the specialty area, and their technical focus,
staff, strengths, and weaknesses. Equip business units with winning
- Work to build capacity and capability to deliver on business
unit strategic goals for capturing and delivering work in priority
services related to the specialty.
- Support business development and sales to targeted clients in
all 5 of BC's targeted industry sectors (Food and Pharmaceutical,
Chemicals and Energy, Mining and Waste, Manufacturing and Retail,
Real estate, Financial and Transportation).
- Maintain an active funnel of relevant strategic recruits to
- Set a foundation for IW staff engagement in projects to develop
staff by direct mentoring and training on the project.
- Lead initial formulation of Specialty team, identifying
membersand their current level of competency
- Support recruiting (identifying needs and candidates, informing
decisions), communicate perceived gaps and needs with BU
operational leads, and support hiring plans into business planning
- Be responsible for development of technical training and
mentoring program within the specialty.
- Support and be a mentor to junior and mid-level senior
employees in the Industrial Water Service Line of our Private
Sector Enterprise Group
BC Brand and Industry Leadership
- Present and/or publish technical information and articles in
conferences and industry publications.
- Expand recognition in the industry for relevant specialty. Lead
representation of the BC brand as industry thought-leader,
including strategic messaging, peer-reviewed and other
publications, and team member visibility.
- Work with practice leadership team and operations leaders to
develop national and regional conference plans. Champion strategic
national conferences, presentation strategies, and selection of
- Support local conferences, workshops, and other means of
visibility in strategic geographies, in coordination with
operations leaders, and CSTs.
- Work closely with Marcom on internal and industry
communications, digital media, and branding.
- Stay current with technology and market trends, inform annual
State of the Industry Report, and inform strategic planning
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (Civil, Environmental,
Chemical, Mechanical, etc.) required, Master's preferred
- Foundational knowledge of industrial water and wastewater
- Good technical skills with the ability to articulate ideas and
concepts both visually and contextually are essential
- Strong verbal/written communication skills and ability to work
well independently and in team environments
- Experience in task and project management in industrial water
projects is preferred.
- Candidate must be willing and able to travel, up to 20% of the
- Must be eligible to obtain a Transportation Work Identification
Credential (TWIC) card
- Must be willing to work in the field year-round, potentially
for extended periods of time, and able to perform physically
demanding work (see requirements below). This may involve
conducting work in the late evening or overnight.
- PE license preferred
- Ability to work for short periods of time in extreme
temperatures including heat and cold.
- Ability to wear required safety equipment at sites including
hard hats, steel toed boots (or other approved toe protection),
safety glasses, etc.
- Ability to stand for several hours observing and documenting
field conditions or critical construction operations
- Ability to walk slowly around sites of varying size that may
have areas of uneven, muddy, and/or rocky ground to perform
inspections and take photographs.
- Ability to lift objects less than 30 pounds
- Ability to remain alert and vigilant while working around
construction equipment and be able to walk swiftly for a short
distance to clear an area where a potential hazard is
- Ability to climb stairs (2-3 flights) or ladders (up to 24 foot
typically) to access structures for visual inspection.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive
benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and
success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term
disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid
time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement
savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus
eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet
insurance and long-term care insurance. Click here to see our full
list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a
full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with
52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the
Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge
environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and
government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice-to our
clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional
quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our
commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join
us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach
new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development
opportunities. For more information, visit
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check
and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not
accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.
In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate
without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement
request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the
right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial
obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer.
Minorities/Women/Disabled/Protected Veterans are encouraged to
Keywords: Brown and Caldwell, Walnut Creek , Industrial Water Senior Process Engineer, Other , walnut creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!