Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Location: Walnut Creek
Posted on: June 17, 2022
Under indirect supervision, provides ambulatory pharmaceutical
care services using approved protocols in collaboration with other
health professional, including managing patient drug therapy,
providing patient education, and preparing and/or overseeing the
preparation and dispensing of medications. Promotes high quality,
evidence-based, cost-effective pharmaceutical care. Performs these
duties in the clinical areas assigned.
- Under the direction of the Department manager or designee,
promotes rational and cost-effective Inpatient and Outpatient drug
therapy through close participation in the drug therapy
decision-making process with assigned physicians and other medical
- Provides direction to Pharmacist Residents, Pharmacist Interns,
Pharmacy Technicians, and other non-licensed personnel.
- Conducts patient medication history inquiries upon referral
from physicians and other medical personnel.
- Given a diagnosis, synthesize a treatment plan, which may
include drug therapy and lifestyle modifications, and transition
within the continuum of care settings.
- Identifies, resolves, and prevents potential and actual
medication-related problems including: untreated indications,
improper drug selection, subtherapeutic dosage, overdose, failure
to receive medication, adverse drug reactions, drug interactions,
and medication without indication.
- Under protocol, initiates, adjusts, monitors, and recommends
changes in drug therapy based on information obtained through
patient interviews, objective monitoring parameters, review of drug
profiles and the patient medical record.
- Coordinates and interprets laboratory monitoring of drug
therapy, including serum drug levels, electrolytes, and other
approved drug-related laboratory testing.
- Provides patient monitoring for the purpose of evaluating and
optimizing patient outcomes, drug utilization and patient
compliance, detecting and/or minimizing ADRs, eliminating
unnecessary drug use and duplication.
- Provides patient education related to the individuals disease
state, including predictable actions, side effects, reasons for
proper compliance, and any special instruction.
- Assure ongoing performance improvement of the pharmaceutical
care services provided.
- Provides education to providers and staff via presentations,
newsletters, formal utilization reviews, and one-on-one
- Performs other duties as required.
- Successful completion of a clinical pharmacy residency or
possess the equivalent clinical experience in direct patient care
- B.S. degree in Pharmacy OR Pharm.D required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association
- ACLS certification may be required in some areas.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current
pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology,
pathologies, disease states, and related information for a medical
- Working knowledge of aseptic technique and preparation of
sterile IV products and chemotherapy agents. Knowledge of emergency
medications and drug monitoring.
- Understanding of drug utilization review and drug usage
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws & regulations regarding the
provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication
- Must be able to operate the pharmacy computer system(s) and
other equipment. Must be able to input prescription
- Must obtain an NPI # within one month in position.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
PrimaryLocation : California,Walnut Creek,Walnut Creek Hospital
HoursPerWeek : 24
Shift : Day
Workdays : Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, shift may include
working weekends, evenings & nights
WorkingHoursStart : 12:01 AM
WorkingHoursEnd : 11:59 PM
Job Schedule : Part-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : A14-GFPP-Guild for Prof.
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Pharmacy
Department : Walnut Creek Hospital - Clinical Pharm- Oncology -
Travel : No
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation,
national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry,
disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information,
other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or
any other protected status.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Walnut Creek , Ambulatory Care Pharmacist, Healthcare , Walnut Creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!