Senior Underwriter - Contract Bonds
Company: Great American Insurance Group (DBA)
Location: Walnut Creek
Posted on: November 19, 2022
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance
industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance
Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial
Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a "small company" culture
where your ideas will be heard with "big company" expertise to help
you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty
operations, there are always opportunities here to learn and
At Great American, we value the unique perspective each of our
employees bring to the workplace. We know that when people with
different cultures, backgrounds and experiences work
collaboratively, we can exceed our business objectives. We are
dedicated to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse
workforce that fosters creativity and enables our ongoing
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Has responsibility for low to moderately complex risk
selection/rejection, pricing, retention, growth, and profitability
within scope of authority and per divisional objectives.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Receives and analyzes submissions and determines terms to offer
(policy limits, credit limits, deductibles, coverage options and
conditions, work programs, etc.).
- Prices business in accordance with company guidelines.
- May conduct investigations of new and existing accounts through
business owners (banks, owners, creditors, debtors, architects,
engineers, criminal record checks, on-site visits, etc.).
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company
- Orders and analyzes miscellaneous business reports needed in
the rating and underwriting processes, including credit checks,
bank agreements, financial statements, and underwriting
- Makes recommendations on risks over authority.
- Enters, maintains and monitors accounts using underwriting,
analysis, and desktop systems.
- Prepares effective internal and external communications on
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with
internal and external customers/coworkers in order to attract and
retain profitable business.
- Visits producers and principals in order to retain existing
accounts, build and maintain business relationships, and develop
new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
- Interprets, explains, and markets products and services.
- Visits producers/insureds in order to retain existing accounts,
survey exposures, build and maintain business relationships, and
develop new opportunities in support of divisional objectives.
- Applies underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules,
and insurance laws and regulations.
- May provide guidance and assistance to lower level
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff
and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent
selection, development, and performance management for direct
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience. Master's in
Business Administration (MBA) preferred but not required.
Field of Study: Finance, Accounting or a related discipline
Experience: 3 to 5 years of related experience. Progression toward
certification in area of expertise preferred; appropriate
certifications could include Associate in Surety and Fidelity
Bonding (AFSB), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Registered
Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU).
Number of Positions:
Keywords: Great American Insurance Group (DBA), Walnut Creek , Senior Underwriter - Contract Bonds, Accounting, Auditing , Walnut Creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!