Company: Mechanics Bank
Location: Walnut Creek
Posted on: May 16, 2020
MECHANICS BANK is looking for a MORTGAGE UNDERWRITER for our
WALNUT CREEK, CA LOCATION.
Responsible for underwriting and approving real estate secured
consumer loans. This includes, but is not limited to, the review of
required documentation, ordering & reviewing, direct interaction
with loan processing, title companies, loan services department,
loan operations, legal and compliance. Must be familiar with Bank
laws and regulations that meet portfolio guideline or agency
requirements for real estate secured loans, including single family
residential (SFR) loans and home equity lines of credit
*THIS ROLE DOES NOT PROVIDE REMOTE WORK AT THIS TIME.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
* Review and approve real estate secured consumer loan applications
that are generated internally from the Retail and Institutional
Divisions per the Bank s underwriting guidelines.
* Review documentation necessary for the placement of real estate
secured consumer loans, including third party reports such as
credit, appraisal, title, tax transcripts, income and asset
information, bank statements, hazard and flood insurance and
special documentation required for loans to self-employed borrowers
and special purpose entities, such as Trusts and LLCs.
* Understand the Banks underwriting guidelines for real estate
secured consumer loan products.
* Apply common sense underwriting methods to responsible, safe and
sound exceptions lending.
* Adhere to underwriting exceptions protocol as defined by the
* Assures adherence to correct and current loan processing
procedures, compliance laws and regulations, including, but not
limited to, CFPB guidance, Reg Z, Reg B and TRID, relevant portions
of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), OFAC, USA Patriot Act,
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) guidelines
and Fair Lending requirements.
* Provides regular updates to the Real Estate Consumer Lending
Department and the Bank on same, as needed.
* Is current and able to articulate any relevant compliance
regulations, Bank policies and procedures and documentation
* Ensures that quality control procedures are maintained in all
aspects for the different types of real estate secured consumer
lending activities of the Bank.
* Performs and participates as needed in internal and external
audits, compliance and regulatory reviews, as required.
* Interfaces with credit and loan documentation personnel in a
positive, collegian and constructive manner.
* Identifies and reports suspicious activity and files PSAR reports
* Assists in evaluating and improving hard and soft infrastructure
including policies, processes, procedures and technology
WHO YOU ARE:
* Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of real estate secured
consumer lending experience in underwriting and processing in a
banking and/or portfolio environment.
* Extensive knowledge of underwriting, processing, closing and
funding real estate secured consumer mortgage loans and home equity
lines of credit.
* Ability to understand and interpret credit, title and appraisal
reports, and third party reports such as Compliance Ease and Fraud
Guard and other key loan documentation such as tax returns, bank
statements, asset statements, tax analysis, and special purpose
entity documentation such as Trusts and LLC s.
* Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and
able to work in a fast paced environment.
* Ability to communicate with loan officers regarding clearing
underwriting conditions and pending documentation.
* Minimum of 6 months of HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit)
experience in a banking/portfolio environment.
* Strong understanding of all relevant consumer loan regulations
and credit practices including, but not limited to, Regulation B
(ECOA), BB (CRA), C (HMDA) Flood Disaster Protection Act, Real
Estate Appraisal regulations and guidelines.
* Must have excellent attention to detail and good organizational
* Able to work independently and with a team and comfortable
working with a redeveloping business unit and a fluid and dynamic
* Must have acceptable quantitative and technical skills and
proficiency in all Microsoft Office products, including Excel,
MSWord, MS PowerPoint, Adobe Products and an interactive Virtual
Desktop Interface (VDI) environment and operating system,
* Must be able to work overtime as needed.
* Undergraduate degree in finance and/or accounting preferred.
* Must be familiar with analyzing self-employed personal tax
returns and using third party software for tax analysis purposes,
such as FNMA 1084.
* MECHANICS BANK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ALL QUALIFIED
APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD
TO RACE, COLOR, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN,
AGE, GENETIC INFORMATION, VETERAN STATUS, OR ON THE BASIS OF
DISABILITY, GENDER IDENTITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION OR OTHER BASES
PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
* Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by
Keywords: Mechanics Bank, Walnut Creek , Mortgage Underwriter, Accounting, Auditing , Walnut Creek, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!